Quick & Easy Vegetable Gnocchi
My husband is obsessed with gnocchi. For that reason we typically always have a couple packs on hand. This meal is great for those tough nights where you just don’t know what to make for dinner.
This was created on one of those nights. We had a variety of pre-cut vegetables, some left over vegetable broth and with some seasonings a delicious meal was created. To add more protein we love to dice up the Field Roast Sausages and toss them into the mix.
The quantities are odd with this one. I’d say its a large portion for 2 people or a small/medium sized portion for 3. Could be a lovely starter or side dish for 4 though.
This dinner has to be one of our top 3 dinners. Both my husband and I love it, it’s super filling, full of nutrients but still has that comfort food feeling. We came across the vegan food blog Cozy Peach Kitchen and her vegan pesto recipe and never looked back. She has perfected her vegan pesto recipe 🤤and it’s super easy to make. Bonus!
We also love to pair this recipe with our favourite garlic bread sticks. You can find the recipe here. They only take 15 minutes to make and are one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever created…well it may be tied with my 15 minute cinnamon bun recipe 😅
There’s not much to it, but to do it! So here we go
Instructions for vegetable gnocchi
I always start off cooking the same way. By cleaning my kitchen, reading over the recipe (if there is a recipe) in its entirety and then prepping the vegetables. I believe to be successful you have to set yourself up for your success. A clean work environment allows me to work freely, cleanly and efficiently.
Prep all of your vegetables and once done grab a pot of water and bring to boil. Cook the gnocchi.
As the gnocchi is boiling add your oil to a medium to large size pan. Once the oil is hot sauté onions until translucent then add 1/2 the garlic to the pan. When the garlic and onions become fragrant add the remaining vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes then add 1/4 cup of your vegetable broth and your Italian seasoning. Add more vegetable broth as it cooks away. The broth allows the vegetables to cook faster and with more flavour.
Once your gnocchi is cooked and floated to the top, drain water and add to the hot pan with the vegetables. Its okay to let your gnocchi get golden brown and a little crispy but you don’t have to. We’re mainly tossing the gnocchi into the pan so it gets some flavour.
As the vegetables and gnocchi are sauté-ing in the pan mix your pesto.
Serve and enjoy!
Vegan Vegetable Gnocchi
- 1 package Vegan Gnocchi
- ½ head broccoli chopped into small pieces
- ½ zucchini cubed
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- any other veggies you like
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 seeded avocado
- 1.5 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup vegan pesto
Making the pasta
- Start by prepping all your vegetables (break broccoli into bite size pieces, dice zucchini, onion, bell pepper, finely chop garlic) and if your adding a meat substitute cut into smaller peices.
- Bring one large pot of water to a boil. Once water has started to boil add gnocchi.
- While waiting for your water to boil, heat olive oil in pan. Add onion and cook until fragrent and translucent in colour then add ½ your garlic and cook for another minute or so. Once onion and garlic have cooked add your vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add a ⅛ cup of the vegetable stock at a time and let simmer. You may not need to use all your vegetable stock. You don't want it soupy - you just want to add flavour and keep moist.
- Once your gnocchi has floated to the top, take from water and add to your hot pan with your veggies. Let cook until they start to crisp just a bit. While cooking mix in your pesto and ensure everything is coated evenly.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!