This spicy, vegan friendly teriyaki sauce is just what you’ve been looking for! It’s great to marinate your tofu in, flavour your cauliflower wings (you can get the recipe here!) with or use it for a vegan teriyaki bowl. Your options are endless with this recipe. Not to mention it takes no time at all to whip up.
As I said, it’s super easy to make. All you have to do is mince your fresh garlic and ginger. I do recommend using fresh — as I believe, fresh is best! But if you don’t have any, then the ground powders will do just fine!
Once you have your garlic and ginger minced nice and fine, you want to mix all the ingredients together. Be sure to mix it well, the cornstarch can be pesky!
Now, I added 1 tsp of chilli flakes… which is a lot! Add what your comfortable with or don’t add at all but bonus points are given if your into spice 🌶!
After, heat the sauce on a small sauce pan on a medium low heat until the sauce becomes desired consistency (about 10 minutes or so).
If you’re going to be using it as a tofu marinade then skip cooking the sauce in the pan. You just want to mix all the ingredients into a bowl then place your tofu slices into a shallow dish and pour the sauce on top. For the best flavour results, I suggest letting it marinate for a few hours.
Vegan Chilli Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil * don't substitute!
- 1 tsp chilli flakes If you're not into 🌶 then you can cut it down to your preferred
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1 tsp finely minced fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- Dash Black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Finely mince your fresh garlic and ginger, then mix all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Pour sauce onto a small frying pan and begin to warm on a mediun low temperature.
- The cornstartch will begin to thicken the sauce as it heats up. Stir consistenly until you reach a desired thickness and enjoy!